By DrK | July 7, 2010
Thank you for checking in on Linguistic Leverage!
What the heck happened to my blog?
My entire blog disappeared from the server. Completely gone! No files left.
And due to the unfortunate timing of my web host’s back-up, they backed it up when everything was gone. so now it was really gone for good! 🙁
Google to the Rescue!
Thanks to the mighty Google and Cache, I was able to save a good part of the content, and I will put it back to the extent that’s possible.
It will take me a few days, though, at least, and then I’ll have a shiny new blog, with most of the “old” content where it used to be..
Keep a back-up at home! Gosh, I can’t believe I didn’t do that. In fact, I thought I HAD a back-up but I guess I was wrong.
So now, it’s back to the drawing board…
Lesson Number 2: Get the back-up immediately
Meanwhile if you should ever have that happen to you, here’s what you need to do (after calling your webhost and checking if there’s a backup):
Go to Google and type in your blog’s name and then click on Cache.
Copy and past these — I did both “save as” for the HTML and also created PDF files from the pages.
And then, Itold it to show all the files, and I was able to retrieve maybe 70 or 80 percent of the content! Whew!
Thanks for coming back in a few days 🙂
Elisabeth AKA Dr. K